Sea Life Aquarium and Shark Feeding

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:21 pmUnknown

I spent a solid half an hour trying to think of a joke to start this entry, so if you think you can think of a fish joke for me, please let minnow. *baddumtss*


It’s not every day you get the opportunity to feed the sharks, so when I saw that Sydney aquarium had daily shark feeding sessions for visitors, I thought “Oh my god. Let’s do this.” 

With a maximum of 8 people per session (just one a day), it's the aquarium’s most popular tour and is located in the Great Barrier Reef exhibit. Equipped with safety vests, gloves and a growing sense of excitement and eagerness, we boarded the Glass Bottom Boat and hovered over the exhibit tank.

The tour guide told many wonderful and interesting facts about the aquarium and fish, such as:
  • The colour blue on fish indicates it is poisonous.
  • The bottom of the tank is filled with popcorn.
Now to the feeding.

We were given a large bowl of fish and squid to share between two to drop into the tank. The squid would fall to the bottom and we would wait for the sharks to eat it.  


In all honesty, it was a bit of a disappointment. I expected more from something that was considered the most popular tour. Unfortunately, we ended up feeding the fish rather than the sharks, even when we were given quite a large number of squid. The feeding was so drastically limited by the safety and protection standards that we weren't able to have a more exciting experience. The duration of the tour was thirty minutes, and soon I was on my way to see the rest of the aquarium.




Cute, fluffy penguins!


I would say one of the highlight of my day was seeing a dugong. Though it was only around for a few minutes, I went crazy with photos while the adorable ‘little’ sea cow was lazing around on the bottom of the tank.


Another highlight was when I was casually walking and a shark caught my eye. So I ran to the window to look at it. Little did I know I was standing on a glass floor. When I was told to look down, I screamed and stumbled and practically radiated embarrassment.   



Glass walkway.


Until next time!

Aquarium Details
Location: 1-5 Wheat Road, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: 1800 199 657
Website: www.sydneyaquarium.com.au

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form