Shifting Tides

Monday, February 23, 2015 12:35 amUnknown

Tonight I found myself wishing a few of my friends luck because they're starting university tomorrow. It's finally hit me that we're actually becoming uni students and that we won't be taking the train together to the same place, and wearing the same uniform, and seeing each other everyday at lunch and sitting on the same bench gossiping about people we know. I realised that I won't get to walk out of school on thursday afternoon to five cars in a row with red Ps and spend 20 minutes deciding where to eat before going to 'J's Kitchen' and getting extremely full from only a third of the plate anymore.

We'll all be making new friends, and meeting new people, and doing different things, and ending up in different places. I only hope that even though it's inevitable that change happens, that I'm able to keep my good friends close. Now that high schools over, and we're all starting to turn 18, we'll all be able to go to places and experience things that we couldn't before - like meeting up at bars on late nights after uni and drinking together, and going to 18+ concerts and parties, and having long road trips where we stop at everything that catches our eye, and eating at expensive places because we work and we can, and just watching each other adjust to independence as we study into our twenties.

One of my biggest fears, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, is that I won't make new friends and that I'll lose my old ones. I'm one to have a lot of hope, so even though my best friends will be apart from me, I definitely see us still being close in the future. A big majority of my close friends are going to study at the UNSW, and the others are attending UTS or Macquarie University. Luckily, I'll have a handful of close friends going to USyd with me - but that still brings to question if time and different experiences will keep us all together.

This week, for most universities, is O Week, where the first years get to sign up for clubs and societies and find their way around uni from orientation and attending parties in hopes of meeting new people. I'm very excited to see what type of people I'll meet in the next week, especially since I'll be going to the UNSW party as well as USyd. I have orientation tomorrow at 9am and I currently have a spider bite on my eyelid that makes me look like I got punched in the face, or that I'm diseased. I find myself hoping people won't judge me as the chick with pink eye on orientation day, but rather the mysterious chick with the eye patch or something (actually just praying the swelling goes down, although it could possibly work as an ice-breaker). Meeting new people is always scary.

But even as I do get to make new friends, I hope, at the end of this year, I see myself close to the same people that I am now. I've made too many good memories for me to let different schedules change anything, and keeping them is extremely important to me. I want to be able to look back with the same people 10 years from now and laugh about how immature we were in high school, and bring back fond memories as we get drunk and play board games. That would be fun.

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form